MainsBack to recipe list
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Total Time: 50 Min
A delicious one pot meal the whole family will love! A simple blend of nutritious vegetables, chicken and Astro Original yogourt that cooks up in under an hour.
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
4 (450 g) chicken legs, separated at joint
8 oz (225 g) white mushrooms, quartered
2 onions, chopped
1 sweet red or green pepper, chopped
2 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
½ tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
1 - 28 oz (789 mL) can whole tomatoes, drained
⅔ cup (160 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth, divided
1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
¾ cup (175 mL) Astro Original Balkan Plain 3% yogourt, divided
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
2 cups (300 g) cooked egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. Transfer to a plate.
Add mushrooms to pan; sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add to plate.
- Add remaining oil to pan; fry onions and red pepper over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon; stir in ½ cup of the broth. Return mushrooms, chicken and any juices to pan, nestling chicken into sauce.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Then, remove cover and simmer further until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 8 minutes.
- Mix flour with remaining broth and stir into sauce; simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in ¼ cup of the Astro Original yogourt and parsley. Drizzle remaining Astro Original yogourt over top each serving.
Calories per serving: 427.7, Fat 15 grams, Cholesterol 122 mg, Sodium 371 mg, Carbohydrates 41.7 grams, Fibre 5.8 grams, Sugar 2.9 grams, Protein 34 grams
- Choose sodium reduced broth to help control the amount of sodium in recipes.
- Spices like paprika add flavour without adding sodium.
- Egg noodles can also be substituted for fibre-rich brown rice.
Nutritional information is based on an average 2,000 calorie a day diet. Any product substitutions will alter the nutritional information.
For more great recipes visit astro.ca