MainsBack to recipe list
Mediterranean Lamb Meatballs with Yogourt Tahini Sauce
Serving Size: 6
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Total Time: 30 Min
Impress family and friends with this easy to make dish. The yogourt tahini sauce adds a lemony kick that pairs perfectly with these quick Mediterranean meatballs.
½ cup (125 mL) fresh bread crumbs
½ cup (125 mL) minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon zest
½ tsp (2.5 mL) each dried mint, salt and pepper
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) each ground allspice and cinnamon
1 lb (450 g) ground lamb
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
3 Greek-style pita bread, halved
6 cups (450 g) baby spinach leaves or chopped romaine lettuce
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
Yogourt Tahini Sauce:
1 cup (250 mL) Astro Original Balkan Plain 2% yogourt
⅓ cup (84 mL) tahini
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley or dill
2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- Tahini yogourt: In a bowl, whisk together Astro Original yogourt, tahini, parsley, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper until smooth.
In a bowl, beat egg with 2 tbsp cold water. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, garlic, lemon zest, mint, salt, pepper, allspice and cinnamon. With your hands, mix in lamb and feta. Wetting hands if necessary to prevent sticking, form balls of 2 tbsp each; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until digital thermometer inserted sideways into the centre of a few balls reads 160°F (71°C), about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap pita halves in foil and warm in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes. To assemble, place 1 pita half on each plate; spread some yogourt mixture on top and mound with spinach. Top with meatballs; drizzle with more yogourt mixture. Sprinkle with tomatoes.
Calories per serving: 620.1, Fat 36.4 grams, Cholesterol 105 mg, Sodium 845.9 mg, Carbohydrate 44.9 grams, Fibre 5.4 grams, Sugar 5.9 grams, Protein 28.4 grams
- Lemon juice and spinach add a fresh flavour and 39.5% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C.
- One serving contains 100% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A, a Vitamin that helps maintain good eye sight.
- Astro Original yogourt and spinach add 31.2% of the recommended daily intake of Calcium to per serving.
Nutritional information is based on an average 2,000 calorie a day diet. Any product substitutions will alter the nutritional information.
For more great recipes visit astro.ca