DessertsBack to recipe list
Serving Size: Makes 25 puffs
Prep Time: 40 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Min
1 ½ cups Astro Original Balkan Style Plain 6% Yogourt, divided
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Lactantia 2% milk
1 ½ cups + 1 tbsp icing sugar
2 fresh small peaches, peeled and cubed and pat dry or ½ cup canned peaches, cubed
vegetable oil for frying
- Stir 1 cup yogourt with baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir flour with baking powder, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg with sugar in a large bowl, then whisk in yogourt mixture. Fold in flour mixture until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Let rest 10 min.
- Stir remaining ½ cup yogourt with 1 tbsp icing sugar in same yogourt bowl, until smooth.
- Place remaining 1 ½ cups icing sugar in a pie plate.
- Pour oil into a large pot until it reaches 2 in. up the side. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium until temperature reaches 350F. Adjust heat as needed to keep temperature at 350F during cooking.
- Scoop a heaping tbsp of batter, pressing 2 to 3 pieces of peach into centre before gently adding to oil. Fry 6 to 8 puffs at a time, until golden, about 2 min. Remove puffs and immediately add to icing sugar, tossing to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened yogourt.
For more great recipes visit astro.ca