MainsBack to recipe list
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 6
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 30 Min
Total Time: 50 Min
Shrimp and corn chowder is a rich all-year soup, perfect for chilly evenings with the family.
3 bacon strips, thinly sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) Lactantia butter
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) each, salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 large Yukon Gold potato, diced
1 red pepper, seeded
2 cups (500 mL) Lactantia PurFiltre milk
1 bottle (240 mL) clam juice
1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia 35% whipping cream
2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn kernels
2 bay leaves
½ lb (225 g) shrimp, frozen, cooked or fresh, peeled (about 13-15 pieces)
1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce (optional)
1 cup (250 mL) Astro Original Balkan Plain 2% yogourt
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon leaves
½ tsp (2.5 mL) each, salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan, melt Lactantia butter and add bacon and onion. Sprinkle with seasonings. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until onions are soft.
Stir diced potato and pepper into onions. Add Lactantia PurFiltre milk, Lactantia whipping cream and clam juice. Scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan into soup.
- Stir in corn and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low. Simmer, covered, to develop flavour, stirring often, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Coarsely chop shrimp. After soup has simmered for 15 minutes, remove and discard bay leaves. Purée ⅓ of the chowder in a food processor, or with an immersion blender. Stir purée back into the rest of the chowder.
- Stir in shrimp and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 to 4 more minutes.
Taste and stir in hot pepper sauce if using.
- Stir together Astro Original Balkan Plain 2% yogourt, green onions, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Calories per serving: 261.8, Fat 7.6 grams, Cholesterol 65.4 mg, Sodium 524.2 mg, Carbohydrates 37.4 grams, Fibre 4 grams, Sugar 1 gram, Protein 18.4 grams
- One serving contains 15% of the % Daily Value of Calcium.
Nutritional information is based on an average 2,000 calorie a day diet. Any product substitutions will alter the nutritional information.
For more great recipes visit astro.ca